US has abandoned its policy in UN today, says Israel after resolution calls for Gaza ceasefire

The United Nations Security Council on Monday called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, a first since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October last year. Israel’s main ally, the United States, abstained in the vote.

After the vote, Israel lashed out at the US, saying “The United States has abandoned its policy in the UN today.”

In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “Just a few days ago, it (the US) supported a Security Council resolution that linked a call for a ceasefire to the release of hostages.China and Russia vetoed that resolution partly because they opposed a ceasefire that was linked to the release of hostages. Yet today, Russia and China joined Algeria and others in supporting the new resolution precisely because it had no such linkage.Regrettably, the United States did not veto the new resolution, which calls for a ceasefire that is not contingent on the release of hostages.”

Israel termed US abstaining from voting as a “clear departure from the consistent US position in the Security Council since the beginning of the war.”

“Today’s resolution gives Hamas hope that international pressure will force Israel to accept a ceasefire without the release of our hostages, thus harming both the war effort and the effort to release the hostages,” Israel said.

Benjamin Netanyahu added that he would not now follow through on plans to send an Israeli delegation to Washington to discuss a planned Israeli military operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah.

Meanwhile, the White House denied that the US abstention reflected a change in its policy.

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby said Israel’s decision to pull out of the meeting was “disappointing”.

“It’s disappointing. We’re very disappointed that they won’t be coming to Washington DC to allow us to have a fulsome conversation with them about viable alternatives to them going in on the ground in Rafah.”

“Nothing has changed about our view that a major ground offensive in Rafah would be a major mistake,” Kirby said.

The war in Gaza started in October last year following an attack by the Hamas terrorist group on Israel. The retaliatory attack by Israel has claimed the lives of thousands of Gazans, while displacing several millions.

Published By:

Rishabh Sharma

Published On:

Mar 25, 2024

Leave a Comment