The toll in the devastating fire that engulfed a multi-storeyed apartment complex in the Nampally area of Hyderabad in Telangana has risen to nine, according to police reports on Monday.
The fire originated on the ground floor of the building, where containers with chemicals were stored. A total of 21 persons were successfully evacuated from the building, with 10 of them being transferred to a hospital. Unfortunately, nine of those hospitalized have succumbed, with asphyxiation suspected as the cause, as per preliminary information provided by a senior Fire Department official.
“The storage of chemicals in the building might have been done illegally…Chemicals were stored in the stilt area of the building and the fire was caused due to these chemicals. A total of 21 persons were rescued of which 6 people died, injured under treatment. All persons have been rescued from the apartment building,” said Nagi Reddy, Director General, of Fire Services.
The Fire Department dispatched teams to the scene promptly, managing to bring the fire under control. However, the tragic incident has claimed multiple lives, prompting ongoing rescue efforts by authorities.
Meanwhile, a woman and a child were pulled out of a window by fire personnel in a daring rescue operation. Visuals showed the child and woman being rescued one by one by the fire personnel.
Also read: Mumbai: Fire erupts in a row of shops in Bandra, one injured
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao (KCR) has expressed grief over the incident and instructed the authorities to provide strong relief measures.
“Chief Minister Shri K. Chandrasekhar Rao expressed deep shock over the fire incident at Nampally Bazaar Ghat. Condolences were expressed to the families of the deceased. CM Shri KCR has ordered the officials to immediately take strong relief measures. The authorities have been advised to provide better medical care to the seriously injured and to be vigilant and take appropriate measures,” said the BRS party quoting CM KCR.
Srinivas Reddy, District Fire Officer, Hyderabad said, “A fire broke out at an electronics showroom at Shalibanda. The fire spread to the second and third floors of the showroom. A total of six fire engines and 30 personnel reached the spot. After three hours of work, we controlled the fire. The incident happened around 1 am today”. (With inputs from PTI and ANI)