Nanded: 90 persons hospitalised after eating food during temple feast

In a suspected case of food poisoning in Maharashtra`s Nanded, at least 90 persons were admitted to different hospitals after consuming eatables during a temple feast, the police said on Thursday, reported the PTI.

The incident took place on Wednesday evening at Naigaon area in Nanded district, an official said.

“A feast was organised and food was served to devotees just outside a Shiva temple. They were given `ambil` (porridge) and `khir` (a sweet dish made from milk) to eat,” he said, according to the PTI.

But after having `ambil`, the devotees felt dizzy and started vomiting, he said.

“Initially, some of them were rushed to a hospital. But towards late evening, there were more complaints of food poisoning. Till late night, a total of 90 people were admitted to various hospitals for treatment,” he said, as per the PTI.

The condition of all of them is stable and they are out of danger, the official added.

Taking cognisance of the incident, a police team visited the spot and an inquiry is being conducted, he said.

Seven Blind School students fell sick due to food poisoning

Meanwhile, in an another incident, at least seven children fell sick due to food poisoning at the Victoria Memorial Blind School in Mumbai`s Tardeo as reported at around 1 am on Tuesday.

According to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), five among the seven children`s age are above 12 years and two are below 12 years.

The brief further said that five children are complaining vomiting and abdominal pain, whereas two others are suffering from fever.

All the seven children are admitted to BMC`s Nair Hospital and reported to be in “stable condition”.

In a separate incident in January 2023, thirty-six students in Sangli in Maharashtra fell ill due to suspected food poisoning, an official said. All of them were shifted to a hospital, where 35 were discharged post treatment, while one has been kept under observation, he said.

The incident took place in Wanlesswadi High School after the children, from Classes V and VII, had rice and dal prepared at a central kitchen run by a self-help group, he said.

(with PTI inputs)

Leave a Comment