Delhi Airport’s Terminal 1 Likely To Remain Closed Till This Period After Roof Collapse

Delhi Airport Terminal-1 Roof Collapse: The reopening of Delhi airport’s Terminal 1 (T1), currently shut down, is unlikely to occur for at least a month as a detailed technical study is underway. This assessment follows a partial collapse of the terminal’s canopy due to heavy rainfall, which tragically resulted in one fatality and injuries to six individuals. All flight operations previously managed at T1 have been shifted to Terminals 2 (T2) and 3 (T3).

According to a senior government official, the study, conducted by structural engineers from IIT Delhi, aims to determine the safety and structural integrity of T1. “The technical study of T1 is expected to take about a month. After the findings come in, a decision will be taken about recommencing operations at T1,” the official told news agency PTI.

The incident occurred on June 28 when a section of the canopy at T1’s old departure forecourt collapsed amid intense rainfall. The Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), operated by the GMR Group-led consortium DIAL, handles approximately 1,400 flights daily across its three terminals. T1 primarily facilitated domestic flights operated by IndiGo and SpiceJet.

ALSO READ | Rajkot Airport Roof Collapse: Back-To-Back Incidents Fuel Opposition’s Sharp Attack On Modi Govt

Delhi Airport’s T1 Operations Not Expected To Resume Anytime Soon

In light of the closure, 72 flights of IndiGo have been redirected to T2 and T3, with 17 flights moved to T3, ensuring all flights remain operational, PTI reported. SpiceJet announced that its flights to and from Delhi from 1st to 7th July will operate from Terminal 3. “Necessary information has been communicated to all the passengers on their registered contact details (SMS/Email),” the airline informed via a post on X (formerly Twitter).

According to PTI, two sources with knowledge of the situation indicated that it might take a few months before T1 resumes operations. DIAL stated that its cross-functional teams are actively assessing the situation and collaborating with stakeholders to ensure passenger safety and convenience. “We remain committed to maintaining flight operations at T3 and T2, while operations at T1 are temporarily suspended. We appreciate the understanding and support of all stakeholders,” a DIAL spokesperson said.

When asked about potential business losses for concessionaires at T1, the spokesperson noted that the evaluation process is ongoing, making it premature to provide specific details. As a precaution, all operations from T1 are suspended until further notice. The expanded T1, which has increased capacity to handle 40 million passengers annually from the previous 17 million, is not yet fully operational.

The canopy’s collapse is primarily attributed to heavy rainfall, with the Indian Meteorological Department reporting 228.1mm of rain in 24 hours at Delhi Safdarjung, the highest recorded in June over 85 years. The average rainfall for the region over the last 30 years is 75.2mm.

The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and a technical committee set up by DIAL will probe the roof collapse incident. Meanwhile, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has been directed to issue a circular mandating thorough inspections of structural strength at all airports. The findings will inform the development of enhanced safety measures and long-term policies to prevent such incidents, the civil aviation ministry said in a statement on Friday. More On It: Delhi Airport T-1 Roof Collapse: 24/7 War Room To Process Refunds, Airports To Undergo Thorough Inspection — Updates

Leave a Comment