Adelaide: Westfield Marion shopping centre evacuated over reports of mass brawl, armed suspect

A shopping mall in Australia’s Adelaide was evacuated and locked down on Sunday afternoon following a fight between two groups of young men, some reportedly armed, in the food court area, police said.

South Australian police said they received reports of an altercation at the Westfield Marion shopping centre and responded to the scene. The shopping centre’s management had already initiated an evacuation and lockdown.

Videos shared on social media showed chaotic scenes at the mall as people rushed for the exits and armed police officers swarming the building.

A thorough search of the premises was conducted, but police were unable to locate either group involved. Assistant Commissioner Scott Duval assured the public that there was no ongoing threat.

“Based on the available evidence, this appears to be a targeted incident, not a random attack,” Duval said, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

While no injuries were reported in the altercation itself, a 77-year-old woman reportedly fell during the evacuation and may have suffered a fracture, reported Reuters. A young girl, believed to be 14, may have also sustained injuries during the evacuation process.

The incident comes after an attack at a Sydney mall less than three months ago, where a man went on a rampage with a knife, killing six people.

Published By:

Devika Bhattacharya

Published On:

Jun 23, 2024

Leave a Comment